Wednesday, April 2, 2014

C4T March

C4T #3 Post #1
Meet Eric Langhorst
Eric Langhorst
What a fascinating blog Eric Langhorst has set up! He must have the heart of Dr. Strange. Two videos from YouTube greeted me, and I liked what they taught. He taught me how to edit videos I have uploaded to my YouTube account. The tutorials teach how to add music over a video, how to change effects, add captions and how to stabilize videos. He gave me an idea for Blog Post#13.
He also presented a slide show called Bring the Maker Revolution to Your Classroom. I thought it was interesting that Mr. Langhorst, a history teacher, was excited about electronics. The idea behind the Maker Movement seems to be creativity across the curriculum. I thought about how this program incorporates art into each subject. I will look deeper into cardboard creations. I was excited to gain another resource both in technology and art.

Eric has an extensive list of YouTube editing and curating tutorials on YouTube. The two I have included are only a sample. I really encourage you to check these out. Like I mentioned earlier, he has given me an idea for Blog Post #13.

Editing Audio Tutorial


Editing Video Tutorial


C4T #3 Post #2
Educamp Logo

I had to go back in time to January to find this blog post. Mr. Langhorst introduced me to Edcamps. I looked at various blogs and Twitter to figure out how to best describe Edcamps. As teachers, Professional Development is necessary. I have only attended "workshops" offered by Mobile County Public School Systems. These were day long events during which we were taught various ways to teach content. It was primarily lecture based with some demonstration. Mr. Langhorst describes professional development conferences as being lecture based also, consisting of lots of sitting and listening. Boring. When he began to describe the Edcamps his tone changed. Edcamps are similar to typical PD conferences in that educators learn how to apply technology and other teaching methods in their classrooms. The major difference is that the Edcamps are FREE, there are no scheduled sessions and no corporate agendas. These camps are grass roots based sharing of ideas, skills, lessons and pleasure related to teaching. Agendas are not agreed to months prior to the camp. Rather, those attending are at liberty to share ideas, apps, or techniques they are passionate about. Lots of conversation and discussion takes place and small amounts of lecturing occur.
I do not know for certain, but I think individual areas or districts can organize their own Edcamp. I have not seen one for the Mobile area, but there is one in Birmingham, Alabama and New Orleans. I am waiting on a reply from Amanda Dykes. She is one of the organizers of the Birmingham Edcamp. I want to know if education majors could attend the camp.
It is interesting that Mr. Langhorst noticed how Edcamps are filled with conversation and discussion rich events. "Isn't this what we want our classrooms to look like," he asks.

No comments:

Post a Comment