Sunday, April 20, 2014

Blog Post #13 What Did Dr. Strange Miss?

What in the wiki are you talking about?
I think most people have heard about Edward Snowden's infamous "Wiki Leaks". I assumed the term "wiki leaks" was simply the 21st century word for a Benedict Arnold. Then I began looking into the blogs of the C4Ts Dr. Strange assigned, and the term "wiki" kept being mentioned. I was curious but nothing more. I was actually glad he did not make us dig deeper into the word and whatever a wiki was. The irony in all of this is that because he did not directly assign our class to explore wikis, I am doing it on my own. Ha! At the beginning of EDM 310 I thought having a wiki would involve an extensive background in computer science. Surprise, it is as simple as pie. It is as easy as creating a Facebook page or establishing a new email. In fact, it IS easier than having your tag renewed at the end of the month.

Wikispaces Logo


I first began searching Google. I came across Barbara Feldman who included a list of possible options. However, because I seem to have a "virus" that keeps putting pop ups on my screen I had to abandon her list. I was able to read her suggestions, but it was difficult to do much else. The site is worth visiting. I went back to Google and found Wiki Spaces. For me, this was the jackpot. I signed up and created my very own Wiki! It was painless, quick and easy.
Barbara Feldman explained that wikis can be used personally and professionally. They can help organize family photos, decide who is bringing Grandma's famous cornbread to Thanksgiving dinner or establish a classroom communication board. As long as those needing access to the wiki have a computer with internet access collaboration and communication are possible.


I thought one of the best uses for a class wiki, to begin with, would be to introduce myself, give class news, lists of assignments/homework, establish a calendar and have parents easily access the activity in the classroom. My wiki is a beginning work, with lots of room for growth, but I am excited to see what I can do. I think creating a wiki is going to be alot like learning to blog. I will make some mistakes, but the benefit will be a tool that is accessible for each parent, student and administrator. Parents and I will not have to worry about newsletters getting lost on the bus, I will not have to remember to pass any extra papers out, and students who are absent will know what is happening in the classroom. This class wiki will take shape as I grow, get a real class, and we begin learning.

1 comment:

  1. Great post Angela, I really enjoyed your blog post. I liked how you researched the web on Wiki, to find out more about it. I have not thought about having one, but from reading your blog, it sounds like a fabulous idea. I maybe need to do some more research on it as well.

    ReplyDelete