Sunday, March 2, 2014

Blog Post #7

Randy Pausch quote
The Randy Pausch Effect
Since becoming a mother I have asked myself what things I would say to my children if I knew I only had a short time to live. Naturally, I would want them to know how much I love them, but what would I say to spur them on years after I was gone? How would I leave my legacy in a few spoken, written or recorded words? Randy Pausch did exactly what I have only thought about in his "Last Lecture".


Randy Pausch was a husband, father, son and brother. His passion was teaching. Listening to his lecture clarified how important it is to make learning an engaging event, view obstacles as opportunities to show others how badly I want to achieve, and to break the mold. As corny as this may sound, teaching is the most important job in society. That is precisely why parenting is so hard. Parents are their child's first teacher and continue the role well past the sweet preschool years. To be a good teacher means taking the "arrows" in the back just like Randy Pausch. Then use the arrows to motivate you, teach you, and fuel your determination. Teaching is a constant pursuit; always be ready to learn. Pausch says that teaching is the best place to enable childhood dreams. The passion of the teacher effects the student and the excitement of the students' effects the teacher's passion. Being a teacher is important!
Learning is just as much for teachers as it is for students. Teachers learn how to make learning fun by engaging students in activities that feel like playing a game but actually teach valuable lessons. Teachers learn how to accept criticism from students' attitudes, parents' questions, a principals' observation and peers' taunts and sarcasm. Teachers learn to adapt to the brick walls that go up in the classroom, curriculum, discipline, time management, budget cuts and school assemblies. Teachers learn how to say they don't know in a way that encourages students to share what makes them excited about learning a certain lesson. Teachers learn that by not being the smartest, best teacher, they in fact, become the teacher who, Randy believes, is able to demonstrate how to respect authority while questioning it.
Teaching and learning require each other. In order to teach one must be willing to learn how to relate to and motivate those under their authority. Teachers need to be teachable.
Randy Pausch quote on a brick wall

2 comments:

  1. Angela,
    Let me start off by saying that you write very well. It is clear and easy to understand. I like how you brought up that parents are their children's first teachers. I have never really thought about it that way and you have a great point. Your arrow analogy was great also. Each arrow can hurt you, but it hurts you to help you become a better teacher. The only thing I would watch for is the repetitiveness in the second to last paragraph ("Teachers..."). Otherwise your post is great and you have wonderful points!

    ReplyDelete