Saturday, January 18, 2014

Assignment #1

ladies whispering in each other's ears
The Whispers That Scared Me
"If you have a job, quit it."
"If you have children forget about them until EDM 310 is over."
"Your life will stop for the next 15 weeks."
These statements combined with exhausted moans and exasperated deep breaths made me question my sanity for choosing EDM 310. What person in their right mind would volunteer and pay to take a class that is bathed in the fear, frustration and loss of freedom of former students? That person is me, and I am bringing my fear, trepidation and curiosity with me.
nerdy man with glasses biting his fingernails
My Nail Biting Fear
My fear is usually grounded in the unknown. I do not know the jargon used in EDM 310, and I do not know if Dr. Strange, his staff and the other "kids" in my class will think I am an idiot. I do not understand where all of this stuff "goes" since cyberspace is not tangible. I feel really comfortable with things I can hold in my hand or see with my eyes. I do not know, yet, how to fix the mistakes I will make. Perhaps my biggest fear is not "passing the third grade". Add to all this, the syllabus with 16 assignments in 15 weeks and EDM 310 gets kinda creepy. The most difficult thing will be overcoming the mentality that this class is too difficult and takes too much time. I have made the mistake of making a judgment based on other people's experiences instead of waiting to make a judgment based on what I experience. The remedy to my fear will be simple. Ask questions and learn from my mistakes. Oh, and turn my assignments in early enough so I can fix my mistakes.

an apple beside an orange
EDM 310...Like Comparing Apples and Oranges
A typical class begins with the passing out of a syllabus, a lesson's introduction, homework being assigned and a test being given. Most students, myself included, prepare for tests the day before by cramming as much information into our brains as possible right before the test begins. This system ensures we know the content we studied. Then the test is taken, passed and the process continues. So far, in the whole week I have spent in Dr. Strange's class, EDM 310 does not seem to follow this rule. Instead, it presents information and then requires me to immediately apply it. I had a friend tell me about an experience her daughter had in Physician Assistant School. Her daughter was given the motto, "Watch One, Do One, Teach One". For example, she had to watch a demonstration of a wound being stitched up, perform the same task almost immediately, and then teach the process to someone. That could be the motto for EDM 310. Unlike most classes, the information presented to me will not sit in my notebook for a few days or weeks, it will be immediately applied. The class does not leave me with many questions because the questions will come as I am forced to use what I am given. In this class there will be little time to think about what I am doing. There will be a lot of time to do what I am thinking about.

5 comments:

  1. This seems easier than I imagined it would be. My eyes are crossed a bit from reading it. Oh I hope I didn't miss obvious typos.

    ReplyDelete
  2. "Most students, myself included, prepare for tests the day before by cramming as much information into our brains as possible right before the test begins. This system ensures we know the content we studied." For at least a da! Research shows we forget information in about the same time amount of time it taks us to learn it. So for a day…

    ""Watch One, Do One, Teach One"." Good idea. I have added a motto to the masthead based on that saying. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I meant to add "Delightful"! Especially well done!

    ReplyDelete
  4. "The most difficult thing will be overcoming the mentality that this class is too difficult and takes too much time." Take it from a student who had to retake the class because of my mentality. It will not take TOO much time, but it is time consuming. However, if your passion is to educate in the 21st century than you will love every project you do. It will challenge you but it will leave you with a great feeling of success at the end!

    "Ask questions and learn from my mistakes. " We love questions! Utilize the lab as much as possible!! We are here to help! You can always email, call the help line, use the Facebook help page, call, or text and Dr. Strange or one of his staff will be here to help!!

    Your post was especially enjoyable to read! We look forward to watching you grow this semester!

    Have fun blogging :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Melissa, thank you for the encouragement. I am working on updating my blog now, and I am enjoying the process. I honestly had no idea so many things were available to me. I am realizing my fear has kept me from pushing the technology envelope open. I have not used the lab, yet. I will begin visiting soon. I end up with so many questions about small details as I work on projects. This class will be work, but the reward will be so very worth all the work.

    ReplyDelete